Thursday, April 26, 2012

15 min Shirt Dress for $1

 I made the pattern for this dress from a shirt dress Livvy already had (navy on in the pic below) but you could just use any shirt that fits your child. I traced the sleeves and the bodice to make my pattern.. I traces them on the fold of my paper so I would have a full front/ back pattern piece since I would cut out the bodice flat.
 Position the pattern so it is centered on the existing center of the shirt.  I found it easier to fold up the collar.  
 Place the sleeve pattern on the finished edge of the sleeve so you can reuse the ribbing.
Now it is a cut little bodice and sleeves.  when you are done cutting of the bottom of the shirt save it for the skirt.  I got all my shirts at the thrift store for $1 or less.  When you picking a shirt just make sure it is long enough to be a dress by having your girl try it on.

yap its long enough. 

 I add a couple of lines of gathering stitches.  The shirt dress I copied had gathered sleeves and I like it.  Just a little feminine touch.

 I use my serger for this hole project but the nice thing about knit is that they don't fray.  You can use a straight stitch on a regular machine for this project as well.  You don't even have to worry about a stretch stitch for any of these seams.
I sew the sleeve on before the side seam.
 I was too lazy to change the thread in my sewing machine so I need to take out my gathering stitches.  If I skipped this step it might have been a 12min dress.
 Now sew the side seam and under arm.
 Lat step, the skirt.  I use the full width of the shirt to make the skirt.  I mark the center front and back and side.  Then pin these marks on the skirt to the corresponding marks on the bodice.  I divide each quarter skirt in to 3 pleats.  You can do more or less I liked the look of a 12 pleat skirt.  Pin it all in place and sew.
Some of the shirts I used where way to long and I had to cut the skirt piece shorter and some where just the right length.  Measure how long you want the skirt when your girl has the top part of the dress on.  ADD seam allowance but not any extra for a hem, remember we are reusing the bottom edge of the shirt and using the original hem. Your piece should be a rectangle piece. The shirt you are using may have kicks cut in the side hem or even have a slightly longer hem in the back.  I say use it as is.  I like the character ie I'm lazy and don't want to do any extra work I like that was a fast project, but it's up to you.

The finished product.  The Navy dress is the original.  Looks like I could have pressed them a little but my little girl is in one now and is headed out to dig in the dirt.  So I sat mah close enough.

1 comment: