Sunday, November 20, 2011

My Sewing Brake is over

Blogging has fallen by the wayside during this last pregnancy and my family's move to Alabama. I'm back and here is a small update of the few thing I have been up to in the last few months. We will start with Halloween.

Halloween was semi-homemade. I felt this year that it was both economical and time friendly to do less sewing for the kids costumes. I will say I was trying to be Green rather than lazy.

Livvy's costume was one I found last year after Halloween at Goodwill. All I did was add ribbon ties to keep her hat on.
David's costume was a thrift store blazer and shirt, his own Sunday pants and shoes. All I mad was the head. The fabric was all stuff I had in my stash and the hair was a clearance bath mat.
Ben's costume is one I got for Livvy when sh was a baby but she didn't wear it because it was too hot that day. It was originally a bunting bag Pumpkin. I cut off the bottom and made it into a jacket.
Jacob's costume was also a after Halloween find as well. I added the hood to his shirt. I think the costumes worked out fine and it was only a morning of sewing.

Curtains on the cheep
I have been wondering what to do for curtains in the Dinning room of my new house. The window is 9' tall from the floor to the top. 6 yards of even a cheep fabric ends up expensive. I found the striped fabric at the thrift store it was in the bottom if a big bag of fabric that was all for $4. I was thrilled for the find it. The fabric was the perfect color to match my china and the chairs I recovered in Houston.The only problem was there was only enough fabric to make drapes that where 7' long. so began the 3 month hunt for some fabric to match so I could finish the curtains. I finally found the perfect fabric at Fabric By The Pound. Thanks to my new Theodore ward friend for helping me with finding local shops. That green and brown fabric and the Drapery header binding cost $18. Even though I had only spent $22 at this point I thought I should line the drapes if I was going to do all the work they better last. So I waited till Drapery lining went on 50% off at Joann's and spent $18 for black out lining. So all in with out hardware my 9' tall drapes cost $40 and a week worth of nap times to finish. I love them.
another baby shower quilt

Livvy's Birthday sewing
Livvy loves the book "the Paper Bag Princess" she loved her copy to death so she got a new copy this year and a costume to match.
my Mom got me a copy of "Wee Wonderfuls: 24 Dolls to Sew and Love" and as soon as I set it down Livvy garbed it and was poring over the projects. After about a 1/2 hour she said "Mom I thing you should make me this one" so I did


Livvy's Dresses

1) pres-mocked fabric

2) Play Dress

3) Sunday Dress with vintage lace
This top was a joint effort Livvy picked out the fabric and pattern and button. She also sewed all the straight seams. I helped with the sleeves and gathering. she is so pleased with her work.

For my birthday I got a Pazzel cutting machine. I'm having so much fun. Here are my first couple of projects. I cut this fabric for a shirt for Livvy. I made a vinyl decal of Eric's Armadillo logo for his Jeep.



What post would be complete with out a before and after.
BEFORE
AFTER





another baby shower quilt

another baby shower quilt


Eric's Cyclops Sock Monkey

Livvy reminded me that Eric didn't have a sock Monkey and all the kids did. So for his birthday I fixed that discrepancy.

I was so sad that I couldn't go to Jon's wedding. I wanted to do something to help out with the wedding. The bow ties where my meager contribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment