Saturday, January 8, 2011

Baby Tie Tutorial

Tie Tutorial

The pattern

for a bigger kid I just lengthen and widen the tie as needed.


I use fleece as interfacing for my ties it is stable and durable even after many washes. I try to use scrap or the cheepy stuff. The only thing to keep in mind is that it is not to dark or pattered that you can see it though the tie fabric. I don't follow any grain line I just use the layout that maximizes the fabric. The pattern is the size of the fleece. You have to add seam allowance when you cut out the good fabric.


here is what it looks like with the good fabric cut out. Cut 1 of each pattern piece out of fleece. Cut 2 of each pattern piece from good fabric.

You will also need a neck band. You can use what ever you want, bias tape, ribbon, or fabric. The band is not seen when the tie is on, so I usually use either white fabric to blend with a white shirt, or as shown, the same fabric as the tie. Finished it should be about 1/2" x 14".

Once your tie piece are cut out place fleece on wrong side of one piece of the face fabric and sew all the way around as shown by the doted lines on the pattern do the sane for the knot piece. This keeps the fleece in place.

when you are done it will look like this.

Now place right sides together of the tie fabric so the fleece is on top and sew close to the fleece but not on the fleece around the tie leaving the top edge open.

When I pull back the fleece you can see the stitching close to but not on the fleece.
do the same with the knot piece leaving the ends open.

Turn the two pieces right side out

now you will see the stay stitching on the back side of tie.

now press the tie.

at any point you can sew on the hook and loop but I usually do this before I assemble the tie. I cut 2 pieces of 3/4" Velcro 1/2" long and space them 1/2" apart. I usually just use a wide zig-zag stitch to secure them.

Assembling the Tie


I start by finding the center of the tie band and pinning the tie in place with a 1/4" to 1/2" fold.

The I wrap the knot part around the tie.

Pin the top edge of the knot in place at the back.

This is the tricky part and I find this take a bit of tweaking. pinch the bottom edge of the knot tight to make the triangle shape that a real tie has. pin it in place then tuck all the raw edges in.

It should then look something like this. It usually it take me 3 or 4 tries before I am happy with shape of the knot.

And from the back.

The hard part is done and all that is left is a little hand sewing. I just use a simple whip stitch to sew across the top and down the back of the tie.

I used to try to keep the stitches smaller so you could not see them but who really care it is the back.

and you are done.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing! Now I need to just get busy and start making some for the grandboys.

    ReplyDelete