Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Proses


The inspiration


The final product

but what happens in between? I thought I would give a glimpse into the creative process. This quit was a challenge. I had a hard time with the design. The pattered fabric was chosen for me and my a friend for her grandson's quilt. It is harder to form me to be inspired by fabric i didn't chose. The other challenge is that the fabric has a pattern of squares on it. I spent an hour on the computer over a few days trying to come up with a pattern that would not fight with the squares on the pattern. When I found the pink quilt on line it just clicked, I knew it would be the perfect pattern. So I opened Auto CAD (computer drafting program) it is meant for architectural and engineering drawing but it works for quilt patterns and I worked out the geometry of the pattern and drew up the pattern.


The Pattern

After I have the pattern comes the task of figuring out how much fabric I need and what is the best layout to be efficient when I am cutting out the fabric. It start with counting all the squares in the quilt. Then how many of those can I get out of a 45" wide piece of fabric. Well it is boring to talk about, so all I will say it is tedious but necessary before I can cut out the pieces. Then come the cutting and sewing and yada yada yada you have a quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment